How to watch and attend Octocon 2021
You need to register for Octocon (for free!) and accept our code of conduct if you want to access our Discord server and any of the Zoom meetings for programme items, or join our social spaces.
Registered members will receive a link to our Discord by email. An email will also be sent with sign-up links for workshops, games and guest chats – these are available on Discord as well in the #programme-sign-ups channel.
Some of our panels and interviews will be recorded. Check the list! (Google spreadsheet – updated as permissions are confirmed)
- Panels and interviews (50 minutes): Streamed live to Twitch Channel One and Channel Two – no Octocon registration required.
If you want to submit questions during the panel or interview, you will need a Twitch account.
- Workshops (50 or 80 minutes): Live on Zoom. Sign-up required. Check your email or Discord channel #programme-sign-ups for details of how to sign up.
Find out more.
- Talks (50 minutes): Live on Zoom. Check Discord channel #schedule for the Zoom link.
- Fan chats (50 minutes): Live on Zoom. Check Discord channel #schedule for the Zoom link.
- Guest chats (50 minutes): Live on Zoom. Sign-up required. Check your email or Discord channel #programme-sign-ups for details of how to sign up.
- Readings (25 minutes): Live on Zoom. Check Discord channel #schedule for the Zoom link.
- Games (2-3 hours): Live on our Discord server. Sign-up required. Check your email or Discord channel #programme-sign-up for details of how to sign up.
Find out more.
Octocon is a family-friendly convention. However due to age restrictions on the software platforms we’re using, please note the following:
Child members (under 13):
Will not receive an invite to Discord.
Can attend Zoom workshops (and other events) but must be signed up and logged in to the Zoom meeting by an adult.
Teen members (13 – 17):
Will receive an invite to Discord but may not access any 18+ channels.
Can sign up for workshops (and other events) but due to Zoom restrictions, if they are under 16, they should be logged in to the Zoom meeting by an adult.
All panels streamed to Twitch will have closed captions available. Workshops and talks in Zoom will also have closed captions. See more about viewing closed captions in Zoom.
We regret that we cannot provide closed captions for fan chats, guest chats and readings taking place in Zoom breakout rooms, due to Zoom limitations. Third-party captioning services (such as Web Captioner) are available although they require some work to set up.
You are not required to keep your own camera on during Zoom meetings, even if you are a panellist or host! Our Virtual Ops team have prepared a guide to alternatives (Google doc).
We encourage anyone posting images in Discord to use the AltTextBot bot to provide image descriptions. Anyone can enter a comment after the image with the command !alt followed by the description they want to add. This will add the description as a comment by Alt Text Bot instead of by the member. We encourage members to add this comment for their own images immediately, but anyone can add a description.
Full accessibility guide (Google doc)